REDUCING PLASTIC WASTE
One Restaurant at a Time
The Ocean Friendly Restaurants (OFR) program works with San Luis Obispo County eateries to institute self-regulated ocean-friendly practices that reduce disposable plastic waste.
Restaurants have the power to eliminate many types of single use service items that can end up littering our beaches. Instead of punishing those that have wasteful practices, Surfrider SLO supports restaurants that take it upon themselves to be ocean friendly. By engaging the restaurant community and diners in a conversation about disposable plastic waste, we hope to significantly decrease this type of coastal trash.
WHAT MAKES A RESTAURANT OCEAN FRIENDLY?
Certified restaurants MUST follow these four criteria:
- No styrofoam use
- Only reusable tableware is provided for onsite dining
- Proper recycling practices are followed throughout the restaurant
- Plastic bags are not used to carry out food
And additionally choose a minimum of three of these criteria:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request
- Takeout food and beverage containers are recycled, recyclable, compostable or biodegradable
- Takeout bags are provided only upon request, or pickup customers are asked to bring their own takeout bags
- Disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request
- Beverages are not sold in plastic bottles
- Discount offered to customers who bring their own cup, mug, container, bag or other reusable item
HOW CAN I HELP?
- Show your support by frequenting our certified Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them on the OFR webpage
- Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even takeout and drive thru), take the No Straw Pledge, and sign this petition asking the City of SLO to enact a straws-on-request policy
- Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of single use plastic
- Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here”
- Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water
- If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting
a disposable container from the restaurant
- Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food
CERTIFY YOUR FAVORITE RESTAURANT
Anyone can become part of the OFR team and certify restaurants as Ocean Friendly. Email email@example.com for more information, training and support.
BECOME AN OFR
Benefits of being an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
We offer restaurants numerous incentives for following ocean friendly practices:
- Promotion to San Luis Obispo County consumers through:
– social media
– our website, and future mobile app
– community events and beach cleanups
- Optional collateral including: OFR window sticker, brochures, bill stuffers, poster
- Collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members and the community
- Training of wait staff about the program
- Vendor pamphlet with alternative material sources and pricing
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on becoming certified.
For additional information about Surfrider Foundation’s national Ocean Friendly Restaurants program, please see http://www.surfrider.org/pages/ofr
OUR NEWEST OCEAN FRIENDLY RESTAURANTS