Reducing Plastic Waste One Restaurant at a Time
The Ocean Friendly Restaurants (OFR) program works with San Luis Obispo county eateries to institute ocean-friendly practices that reduce disposable plastic waste. Restaurants have the power to eliminate many types of single use items that can end up littering our beaches. Instead of punishing those that have wasteful practices, Surfrider SLO supports restaurants that take it upon themselves to be ocean friendly. By engaging the restaurant community and diners in a conversation about disposable plastic waste, we hope to significantly decrease this type of coastal trash.
What Makes a Restaurant Ocean Friendly?
Certified restaurants MUST follow these four criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
And additionally choose a minimum of three of these criteria:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis; and / or all seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
How Can I Help?
- Show your support by frequenting our certified Ocean Friendly Restaurants and let them know you found them via Surfrider SLO
- Say “no straw” whenever you order a drink (even takeout and drive thru) and take the No Straw Pledge
- Ask for water and other drinks in a reusable glass instead of single use plastic
- Bring your own reusable cup for takeout coffee, and remember to ask for a reusable mug when ordering “for here”
- Bring a reusable water bottle to avoid purchasing plastic bottles of water
- If you think you may have leftovers, bring your own reusable container instead of getting a disposable container
- Always bring your own bag when picking up takeout food
Certify Your Restaurant
- Register your restaurant or food truck as an Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
- Anyone can become part of the OFR team and certify restaurants as Ocean Friendly. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, training and support.
Benefits of Being an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
We offer restaurants numerous incentives for following ocean friendly practices:
- Promotion to San Luis Obispo County consumers through:
– social media
– our website, and future mobile app
– community events and beach cleanups
- Optional collateral including: OFR window sticker, brochures, bill stuffers, poster
- Collaborative promotions such as launch parties or coupon days promoted to our members and the community
- Training of wait staff about the program
- Vendor pamphlet with alternative material sources and pricing
Email email@example.com for more information on becoming certified.
Our Ocean Friendly Restaurants
Surfrider Foundation acknowledges that we cannot claim that all listed restaurants are 100% in compliance with OFR standards at all times, but that Surfrider Foundation strives to diligently review compliance on a regular basis. If an Ocean Friendly Restaurant is found to be out of compliance, they are removed from the website as quickly as possible. Such a restaurant will not be reinstated on the list of Ocean Friendly Restaurants, until the compliance issue is remedied.